Saturday, September 1, 2012

doctor, doctor, give me the news

i'd read that it was common practice for doctors not to see you for your first appointment until 8 weeks, but i was still a little bummed when my doctor did just that. i had to wait almost 3 weeks! in the meantime, did i act pregnant? how was i supposed to know what i was and wasn't supposed to eat? it seemed like it took forever for my appointment to arrive.

i didn't really have a ton of expectations for my first appointment, having never been to one, but i was still a little surprised at how uneventful it was. i'm so glad Dave was able to meet me, but felt bad when the dr. suggested i have a Pap smear! oops! sorry Dave, i bet you didn't plan to see that at my appointment! luckily he had a magazine to keep him company, even though it was still awkward for me. though i'm sure it won't nearly be as awkward as shoving a baby out my va-jayjay in February.

anyways, after the obligatory pee in a cup and the goody bag with some sweet pamphlets, i was nearly on my way. since i was only 8 weeks, the dr. couldn't find a heartbeat with the doppler, which didn't worry me.  then i was off to the lab to get poked and blood drawn and i was done! i walked away thinking, "am i really pregnant? no one told me so..." it was kind of weird.

i had my first ultrasound the next Wednesday which absolutely TERRIFIED me.  not because i was scared of the results but because i knew i would have to drink a TON of water and hold if for a prolonged period of time. if you know me, you know that if i have to pee, i have to go NOW. there is no holding it.  imagine my dread when i got to the office and they were running behind! i had to go a little, otherwise i was going to go a lot in the waiting room chair. it took the edge off but was still awful. then i got to see Little Wood and even heard the heartbeat for a smidge of a second! and i forgot how bad i had to go.  it was worth it.

my only other appointment was my 12 week and Dave and I both got to hear the heartbeat :) it was pretty awesome, and quite a weird feeling to know there really IS a baby in there. i'm really looking forward to feeling LW move around in there. sometimes it's hard to wait so long in between appointments when i'm not showing and can't feel much. i've heard i'm not far off now, and hope i will actually know it's the wee babe when it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment