Sunday, November 18, 2012

nursery planning

i've never considered myself much of a designer. i like to steal inspiration from others, or buy complete sets of furniture so i don't have to put much thought into decorating, for fear that it will look awful if i don't. because while i never consider myself "cutting edge" i can definitely recognize when people CLEARLY have no idea what they are doing in the design department. i like simple but nice pieces, and nothing too trendy because i don't want to have to buy furniture or change everything in 2 years.

all that being said, i definitely know my tastes when it comes to baby design. it's most likely my love of simple that keeps me away from all the cutesy "baby" designs that many people cherish. i have a very fond memory book to remind me of my childhood Winnie the Pooh nursery and wouldn't have it any other way. but my style, circa 2012-13 is different from 1981 (yes, i'm dating myself here). i have absolutely NO problem with other people going for the full-on butterfly, teddy bear, Winnie the Pooh designs- they just aren't for me.

once i decided on light pink and grey for Little Wood's nursery colors, it made it a little easier to start designing. with my color choices, we couldn't stay with the brown that came with the wee babe's room. not to mention, the previous painters did an AWFUL job of touching up, and ended up using a different shade all together. it is VERY obvious, which you'll see in just a moment. i've never painted before, much less picked out my own colors so my first trip to Home Depot was a litle overwelming! i came back with these:
if you've ever painted before you know that at first glance they all look very similar. however every single one is super different in the right light. so i decided to pick two and see how they looked:
see there IS a difference! The one on the left is "mulberry white" by Glidden and has a pink tinge.
the one on the right is "pink petal white," and is definitely more white than anything else.
i decided to go with the Mulberry White because i wanted a pale, pale, pink that was almost white and this fit the bill. my friend Gwin is going to help me paint next weekend and we will be moving right along. Oh! and my glider came this week and it's even more gorgeous than i thought. it will be perfect in the corner. i left the plastic on until we're done painting, even though i'll probably have the Husband move it out of the room anyways, just to be safe. here's the room as it looks now (p.s., if you look to the right of the paint samples you can see the completely discolored walls and the lovely "touch up" job the leasing dept did):

next up: Little Wood's crib!

No comments:

Post a Comment