Tuesday, November 6, 2012

baby acne: it's not just for babies

i have always struggled with acne. i have a very clear memory of needing to start washing my face with neutrogena soap in 6th grade. i was at a friend's house and her mother was shocked that i needed to start using acne soap already. over twice my age in 6th grade has passed since then and here i am, still trying to slap my hand away from my face as i hover over the bathroom counter, gazing upon my blemishes.

i've tried everything- neutrogena, aveeno, biore pore strips, proactiv- it's all junk. at least that's what my dermatologist tells me. about 5 years ago i found a new dr. and it took nearly a year to get my face under control. i had to take oral medication, wash with specific soap, and use 3 prescription face creams. but it worked! my face was clear and no zits! that was before Little Wood came in to the picture.

apparently acne medication is on lists B & C for acceptable drugs to use/take while pregnant- which means i can't use them :( so i've been relegated to using only 1 Rx, a compound cream that's specially mixed for me at a compound pharmacy. it's nice, but it's similar to a light chemical peel and makes my face red for at least 1 day after. then about 2 days after that, it peels. not only that, i can't use it all the time and my face has gone BEZERK!

i've been to the derma a few times since becoming with-child and the last time i got 7 (SEVEN) injections in my face! but it was worth it. until everything came back again and here i am, with an 8 am appointment tomorrow to hopefully take care of business.

a few years ago i had some pretty bad depression about my acne. all i could focus on were scars and new blemishes that kept popping up. but this time around, it doesn't bother me so much. i know i'm closer than i was when this all started to going back on my Rx's, but i also know that i'll have Little Wood to show for it when it's all over:)

1 comment:

  1. You look great! I know it's hard, but at least it is temporary. And it will all be worth it, I promise.

    ReplyDelete