Friday, August 31, 2012

mom, dad- i have something to tell you

i wish i could say that i thought long and hard about cute ways to tell our families that there was now a Little Wood on the horizon. but the more i thought about it, the less exciting it became- and the more awkward and terrifying it felt. so we went with what we know best- relating it back to something we love and know best: the dodgers!

we were sitting in church one day and Dave thought it would be a good idea to get some Dodger onesies and tell our family that way. and once i saw these, i couldn't say no:

Since my mother lives out of state, i had to tell her over the phone. i wanted her to be the first to know, because let's face it- there's no relationship like a mother-daughter one.  it actually came out funny because she was just finished telling me about how it doesn't matter how old your children are, they still give you grief (she wasn't talking about me, of course!). then she followed it up with, "don't have kids!" obviously, she wasn't totally serious. but i retorted up with "well it's too late because i'm pregnant!" she didn't hear me at first, and did the phone version of a double take. it was awesome to say the least.

we told my dad and step-mom the next week over dinner at Pei Wei (random, i know) and i told my dad that i was out shopping and saw "this" (wrapped up onesie) and thought of him. he opened it and didn't say anything at first but then my step-mom let lose with some tears and he caught on. it was actually kind of awkard to tell him- more than i thought it would be. Dave gave me a few segways at different points but i chickened out. hey, this is new territory for me, people. i'm not a touchy feely person.

we really stalled with telling Dave's parents because we wanted my sister in law to be in town. we knew that my inlaws wouldn't be able to keep it a secret if we told them first. once we told my SIL, we had a family Dodger game we were attending that week that we thought we be a good setting to tell the inlaws. i was waiting for Dave to tell them the whole time, but he waited until we were LEAVING to say anything. all i could see was Dave and his Dad walking ahead of us and his dad stopping and looking at him. then i knew the news was out. phew! glad that was over!

No comments:

Post a Comment