Wednesday, August 29, 2012

start spreading the news

i've heard women say that they knew the minute they were pregnant, because they could just "feeeel it." maybe that's true, but not for me. like i mentioned before, i pretty much wrote off getting pregnant in a timely manner because i just figured i wasn't one of those lucky people who gets knocked up right away. so of course i wouldn't have assumed i was when the time actually came.

i'd only taken 1 pregnancy test before, and mostly out of precaution because i wanted to have a beer when we went out to an NHL game.  it was a similar situation this time around. Dave had a casual "networking" evening with some law peeps and darn it, i wanted to have some wine! buutttt... i was being so good and hadn't had anything to drink in a few weeks. So, i scrounged in my junk drawer for my lonely pregnancy test. i found it, but also realized i had thrown away the instructions.  so i peed on it anyways and.... nothing happened. oops, i guess 3 seconds wasn't how long? since nothing happened i figured i wasn't pregnant and just peed it on it again for longer. this time, within 2 seconds a huge BLUE plus sign emerged. CRAP i don't have the instructions does this mean i'm pregnant or did i just overload the test with pee and it's a false positive!!!!!!!

i had just put on the first coat of my nail polish but oh well. i got my butt in the car and headed to the nearest CVS for a 3 pack of tests, complete with instructions this time.  i came, i peed, it turned positive right away. WHAT!?! this can't be happening to me! i was just doing this to be responsible so i could have some wine!

anyone who knows my husband knows that this was going to be a scary day indeed when i dropped this bomb. he was so nervous about networking that night that i knew i couldn't tell him before. and of course we got into a huge argument on the way home and i didn't tell him then either. then we went for haircuts the next morning and my hairdresser announced SHE was pregnant. uh oh. so i went home and took a 3rd test and crap it was positive again. i thought maaaaybe there was a chance it was just a lot of excitement the day before. not so. that night the hubs and i were going to our favorite English pub for dinner and i didn't know if the news was going to be accepted well or not and so i wimped out and didn't tell him that night. the next day was Father's Day and i knew i couldn't wait any longer. No, i wasn't being cutesy by waiting until FD, i just was gutless. so when we woke up, i told Dave i had taken a pregnancy test, and it wasn't negative.  his response: "your preggo?" and i cried and said "yeeeeessss."

oh man that was scary. probably the scariest thing i have ever done. people think i was weird for waiting or that it's sad that i was scared to tell him. but he is the love of my life and i was about to drop the biggest news that would change our lives forever. so no, i'm not sorry that it wasn't all rainbows and hugs because that's how some people may roll, but not me. this is how we roll:


2 comments:

  1. I just posted on your FB but congratulations again! FWIW, I told my husband about the positive test via text. And then my cat batted the test off the counter onto the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this blog. I was so glad I had enough tests on hand when I initially wanted to find out. I would have been so stressed if I had to go out and buy a pack. And there is no way I would have been able to keep it to myself.

    ReplyDelete