Monday, September 9, 2013

just a week

I'm not one to usually brood about and feel sorry for myself.  I see the cyclical nature of things and know that they can't stay bad forever, and I'm generally a positive person and laid back in many ways. Maybe I've also been blessed with God just giving me a little nonsense scattered throughout my life instead of all at once.  but I have to say after this last week, both Dave and I agreed that we were feeling attacked by some spiritual force.

for the past six weeks we've been preparing to move in one way or another, be it trying to find a new place to rent, rushing to get cashier's checks delivered, trying to make hiring movers work in our budget, trying to find a washer and dryer, and of course, my all time favorite activity: packing. I thought that having so much time would ease the burden of moving, because I hate it so much. But I was wrong. It turns out that having so much time just dragged out the process to the point where I was living and breathing packing, scouring Craig's List for boxes, and trying to pick through our belongings in constant search of things I could get packed and out of the way.

before we could even move, messes started to rain down.  the Friday before, I was driving to Dave's going away party when a rock bounced off a gardening truck, hit my windshield, and proceeded to leave a crack over a foot long in my stupidly expensive windshield. two days later, on Sunday, Olivia started developing a major diaper rash (and her first one ever) that caused her to buck and arch away from me anytime I tried to change her diaper. oh, and throw in a good case of diarrhea for good measure. it turns out the new diapers I tried were not conducive to her poor little behind.

finally, last Tuesday arrived and with the help of a friend who referred some very affordable movers, we moved! of course it was a horribly hot day. that night, we walked to a restaurant across the street to eat dinner because of course we had nothing to eat in our new house.  while getting ready for Olivia's 6 month appointment and my work meeting on Wednesday morning, I started to feel awful. before the day was over, I had spent half the day in the bathroom or leaning over bushes to expel whatever demon was inside of me from the new restaurant, which I will never be visiting again. We made it to Olivia's appointment, where the doctor proceeded to tell us that her head circumference was in the 90th percentile and he wanted to send us for a head ultrasound to make sure she didn't have any excess fluid surrounding her brain. I don't remember much of the appointment after that.

on Thursday, I asked Dave to move his car out of the garage so the windshield repair man could get inside. his car wouldn't start. so we had to call Triple A and buy a new battery.  then, I made it to CHOC Hospital where we had LW's head ultrasound. The tech told us "everything looked good," and while it isn't an official diagnosis, at least some of the weight for the past week lifted from my burdened shoulders. and on Friday we scurried around packing so we could finally get a move on and get to our much needed vacation (as if we could relax!?).

now that we've been here a few days (separate post to come, I promise), we have finally be able to start resting. we have no plans except to go swimming, watch movies, and give Olivia a good time.  there were a lot of things that happened this past week that could have derailed us from this point, but God is faithful.  I feel it in my bones that He is incapable of leaving us or unloving us. He has brought us to this place and will carry us through. I have to say I'm elated this week is behind us. We've been waiting for a long time to be in a new place and see where our life takes us. now we can start.

p.s., Happy 100th Post to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment