Friday, August 2, 2013

5 Month Favorites

this post should really be called "it took me 5 months to figure out what products suck" but i'll just go with the traditional "5 Month Favorites."  with the exception of 2 of these items i've listed, i've discovered that not all baby products are created equal. here goes:
Bright Start Lots of Links: these are the best, inexpensive toys for infants. Olivia is at a phase where she's putting EVERYTHING into her mouth, and these are easy for her to grab. they don't take up much room, aren't noisy, and can be used for everything from chaining items to her carseat, to extending the length of her toys on her activity mat.

Evenflo Exersaucer Triple Fun in the Amazon: since I work from home, I've been looking forward to Olivia being able to entertain herself here and there. I did a decent amount of research on whether I should get a jumper or exersaucer, and it basically came down to the exersaucer taking up less space and Olivia liking to stand a LOT. it took about 3 weeks for her to catch on, but now she LOVES this. She can go about 20 minutes before getting bored, which is pretty good for a just now 5 month old. Word to the wise: i tried her in this at the store right before she turned 4 months and she just fell face forward in the seat. this definitely is an age-sensitive toy!

Diaper Genie Elite II- product number 1 I should have put on my registry. i was trying to avoid products that required special refills to save money and time. for our diaper pail, I went with the Diaper Champ- an item that actually costs the same as the Diaper Genie, but uses regular trash bags (score!). The top opens and is supposed to block any smell from existing diapers in the pail from escaping. IT DOES NOT.  After 4 months and countless air fresheners dropped in the bottom, the smell was like death warmed over and I couldn't handle it anymore. so i went out and bought the Diaper Genie and now I know why it's a best seller. While I was at Target, I also discovered that they make their own refills through the Up & Up brand- which are way cheaper and which I will be buying!

Huggies Little Snugglers: when I found out I was pregnant, I had visions of using cloth diapers, but the hubs put a stop to that right away. he didn't even want to entertain the idea of hosing off a diaper, only to resuse it again. so, disposable it was! I haven't run the gauntlet of disposable diapers, but I've tried a few and have to say that Huggies are the best. When LW was a newborn, I started out in Pampers. She kept having blowouts and leaks and I just thought it was because she was so tiny and there wasn't good "suction" around her legs.  the diaper also hangs really low in the crotch and has a bit of a weird smell. Then I tried Target brand because they are much cheaper. but they feel paper thin and I wanted my baby to have a cozy bum. On the recommendation of my cousin, I tried Huggies and they are a dream. NO leaks, no weird smell, they hold a lot, and i love the wetness indicator. i get them through Amazon and save a lot of money using their Amazon Mom program. I definitely recommend.

Halo Swaddle Sleep Sack: as most of you know, LW still needs to be swaddled because she's a ninja and wakes herself up. after she outgrew her swaddle pod, we tried her in the Summer Infant size 2 swaddles. They don't get the job done. First, I had to send back the first one I got, because it had a hole in it. Second, the velcro is SO LOUD that it wakes her up whenever it's opened for diaper change. This is a selling point for them too- it's so convenient because you don't have to completely undress baby. Undressing completely would be quieter. Third, she breaks out within minutes because it can't get tight enough. Finally, the 2nd one I received started to come apart at the seam. Anyways the Halo is amazing because once LW is done with swaddling, you can still use it and just wrap the swaddle arms around her midsection.

Up & Up Sensitive Skin Baby Wipes: I started out with Pamper's wipes which weren't bad, and then tried the Huggies- which disinigrated in my hands every time I pulled one out of the container. these wipes are AWESOME! they are huge, soft, and you can buy the box at Target for $14 and it lasts for a month and a half. plus, all of the packages have a plastic flip top, so you don't need to transfer them to a bulky box. plus, they make a really crinkly sound and Olivia loves to play with the bag.

Sorry this month was more about the basics, but hopefully someone can use it when they have their own wee babe! No one likes to waste a great registry gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment